Saturday 9 September 2017

Seeing Stars - An 80th Birthday Quilt

This year has been filled with sewing for family members celebrating significant birthdays. I like to make quilts to honour them on these occasions,  to celebrate their lives and to let them know how much we all love them.


To do this I give careful thought to the person and aim to design a quilt that is perfect for them. This quilt was made for Lorraine, my mother-in-law for her 80th birthday. The colours are her favourites and the prints are a mix of gentle florals and  butterflies. I balanced the layout of red and blue blocks and then sashed them with a carefully chosen buttery cream coloured fabric set with light red squares. 


The quilting is beautifully done by Jo Philips of Quiltwise.


Lorraine had no idea she was getting the quilt . To my surprise no one in my family let the secret slip - even though our house had been awash with stars and fabric strips for weeks before the 80th birthday party.  I think Lorraine was thrilled to receive it!
A happy day indeed. 



Quilts are such wonderful gifts. 


When we sew for those we love the pleasure is immense. The gift of love that keeps on giving .


Happy sewing, Miriamx 

No comments:

Post a Comment