Friday 12 August 2016

Back to Front Quilt - Part 2

Well- some weeks just don't go according to plan. This week has been one of those weeks. So my plans to sit and sew and play around with fabric squares and triangles have gone completely out the window!!! I have a feeling that you all can relate to these sentiments in some way. That's life !



So today I am hastily putting together my blogpost with the progress so far of my Back to Front Quilt. The process of quilt making always appeals to me, and it is where I find a lot of joy. It's where the creativity is awakened and where it is takes flight. 

The Back to Front Quilt as you know is my interpretation of Brigitte Giblin's Back to Back Quilt which can be found in her gorgeous new book Feathering the Nest 2 which you can find by visiting her website here.

I decided to do a modern Australian take on the quilt. Here are my fabric choices - looking very neat and tidy .



Being a back to front kind of girl I made the back first and this is how it looks so far.


All it needs are side borders of an indigenous print which I will add when the  front is complete and I know the measurements needed.

Now to the front, which starts with squares and triangles like this on my sewing table - no more neat and tidy- ha! 



And then the play begins putting units together, maybe triangles alone....


Or maybe like this... 



Yes - I like this , so I keep on going...


You see where this is heading....I love this part where you can play around with colour and shape and design away letting your heart and eye decide what makes you happy.

Finally I decided on this...  Sorry about the poor photo quality, but you get the idea .... There is a cool secondary pattern emerging now and I LOVE IT.  Do you? I hope so . It came as quite a surprise to me as I was playing around. 


Now I just have to piece it together in rows and finish the back and I will have the back and front done ready for quilting together. But that task my friends is for a week when there is some peace and calm in my world - which may not be for a while .... 

I hope that you have some time for some gentle stitching , or some wonderful quilt viewing this week. The Hunters Hill Quilt Show is on this weekend if you are lucky enough to be in Sydney.

Happy sewing, love Miriamxx 




No comments:

Post a Comment