Friday 29 May 2015

Bits and Pieces

Life has a habit of getting in the way of uninterrupted sewing time! That's fine for a while, as there is always work, family demands, household domestic goddess business, and friends to keep us busy and bring joy to our lives and others. We roll along and get things done. But after a while I feel restless and in need of some down time. Time to sew, potter about and play with colour and design is necessary to maintain a balance, recharge the batteries and be creative.


Why then is it so hard to prioritize this time ? I don't know why, as I continue to feel the need to justify myself when I set aside time to sew. It is always the first thing to get shelved. I imagine that I am not alone in this.

The buzz term is currently mindfulness, and I find that it is my sewing time that allows me to clear my mind of worry, and focus on the here and now. It definitely is a " living in the moment" time for me. 
It is not New Year, but I need to be resolute and put this time way up on the priority ladder! When I do, I know I function better in so many aspects of my life. What do you think? Do you struggle with this dilemma too? 

Meanwhile , in the tiny bit of sewing time I have squeezed  in I have been busy making bags as gifts for special people in my life. These bags are made using my quilt as you go technique. The travel bag holds an iPad, and the Babushka bag is designed to hold templates and quilting supplies.


 I am also busy preparing for my next bag making workshop at The Cottage Quiltworks in Warriewood next Wednesday. It is going to be a wonderful day. I love watching the transformation of fabulous fabric pieces into one of a kind bags that reflect the personality and style of the maker. 


Take the time to stop, sew  and be creative. Essential really and not a luxury!! 
Happy sewing , Miriamx 

No comments:

Post a Comment