Thursday 4 December 2014

A fabulous year of quilting

Thank you for visitng my blog. It is always wonderful to have you join me. Please stop by often.

Firstly, the wedding of my niece Laura was beautiful. Welcome to our family Matt.

 Laura was glowing and everything was perfection. My grandmother's exquisitely embroidered table runner was placed underneath the cake. This was such a wonderful touch and meant so much to my Mum, my sister and me.



As the end of year is approaching, I thought I would start to revisit some of my quilts made this year.
I started the year with making a quilt for a 1920's cane lounge we had at home. I took off the Kaffe Fassett fabric that I had covered the seat with and reworked it into a quilt. 


Next I designed a quilt for my sister and her husband. Using a mixture of techniques- paper piecing, appliqué and machine piecing, a beautiful quilt using Civil War Reproduction fabrics was born. I wanted to use the red, as it matched a chair in my sister's bedroom. The red worked well with the prints and really let the quilt sing. Jo-Ann Philips did a sensational job custom quilting it. Thank you Jo! 


My special treat this year has been attending classes taught by Margaret Sampson George. I hand pieced this quilt top . It is yet to be quilted as I am not sure yet how best to handquilt it, but I will keep you posted. It is a bright, happy quilt with lots of lovely things to look closely at. 


I also joined Brigitte Giblin's Trip Around the World challenge. With instructions to use a red dot as the central square, to hand sew by eyeballing each quarter inch seam, and not to press as you go. - the adventure began. Here is my quilt top, which I am currently hand quilting in a cross thatch pattern.


My eldest son Nathan turned 21 this year too, so of course he had to have a quilt. 



I also put together this quilt for my Dad. He loves it. 

It has been a wonderful quilty year, but that is more than enough for one post! I also did a few other things too - next time I will show and tell.
Happy sewing, Miriamx






No comments:

Post a Comment